Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thorns, Cages, and Bottles

Had my first Tube change.

Plus I added a Water Bottle Cage and bought a nice new insulated bottle.

I switched tubes to a slime tube. Hoping this helps keep some air in the tires with all the spiny burrs and thorns that come with the area. Actually changing the tubes was super easy. I had bought some tire wrenches but they really were not needed with the tire size being as large as it is. Just pull the bead over the rim, take out the tube and insert the new tube. Of course you have to check for other thorns before the new tube goes in. A very simple process. Glad I bought that tube with the cage and bottle.


I added the Cage and am very happy with the look and function so far. I think it looks solid on the Airborne Guardian and fits the paint scheme well. The bottle fits snug and yet getting the bottle in and out is easy while on the trail. The cage was 9.99 so a bargain for a good metal, lightweight cage.
I also bought this great Camelbak Podium Big Chill 25oz Bottle. It is insulated so it keeps the water, Gatorade, or other beverage chilled while you ride in the heat. I like drinking the cold water while exercising to keep the core temperature down. By starting with cold refrigerated water even after an hour of riding the water is still cold and refreshing. The bottle was 11.99 so for 22 bucks I can stay hydrated during some good xc riding.
This photo was already posted, but it shows off the bottle and cage really well with the bike.

Update: I am loving the bottle and cage. The bottle has a great spout which allows you to squirt with precise aim or to just suck on the nipple if that is your preference. I would suggest buying one of these bottles if are not lucky enough to have a hydration pack. One tip is you can fill the bottle up half way and throw it in the freezer. Make sure the bottle is tilted so when the ice forms it does not hurt the bottle. By freezing half of the water you can go a long ways with cool refreshing ice water.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still a huge fan of Camelbak's Packs. The hose allows for drinking while keeping hands on the bars. On the tires, are you planning on going tubeless? No problem with thorns, just keep the Stan's up-to-date several times a year. I've been running tubeless for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for deals on a hydration pack. I would like to go that route eventually. But $50-100 was a bit of a stretch when I just needed to start riding.

    I also wanted to figure out tubeless but again I just need miles on the tires so I went with what I knew just to get started. I was looking into what it took to go tubeless and might eventually go that route. Might upgrade my tires and then go tubeless, but that might be next year.

    ReplyDelete