Monday, June 4, 2012

The grasses of Norcal

I am really enjoying riding this area. This is the second time over by the Old Borges Ranch. The grasses are so brown now and its only the beginning of summer. I miss the beautiful greens but am still happy to get out and ride.
 
 This area has some punishing hills, but they are not so steep that you cant ride up em. There was two climbs on my route that had 300ft of elevation change. The day was perfect though, clear skies right around 80 degrees.


 All day I was seeing these birds of prey. The area has a number of ground squirrels and so these birds were soaring looking for a little meal. Amazing to see such great sites while out for a little ride. Considering I am on the outskirts of such a huge Metropolitan area as San Francisco. Below here its hard to see but that is the 680 and 24 exchange. So only a few miles from thousands of cars and yet I feel like I am out in the wilderness.

This picture really gives the scale of the hills here. The washout provided a great natural kickstand, showing off that nice Airborne Guardian. There are some good climbs and great downhills. The trails here are all 8 feet wide though there are a couple single-tracks that are for hiking and horseback riding. Dont understand why bikes are not allowed. I poach a little bit but have to be careful not to upset the hikers or equestrian type people.

There is a great place to ride about 20 mins north of where I live that has a network of single-track(meant specifically for Mountain Biking) and I will be heading up there, but I am still exploring the rides close by. There is so much trail here that I can make different routes and ride varying trails so it keeps things exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment