Monday, September 17, 2012

Head over heels

Had a good ride but a interlude of a head over heels crash. Bike is good but I am in some pain. I was really enjoying my time going down the hill. The day was gorgeous and everything seemed so great. I was just out having fun. I am going to be riding this circle as my circuit. It is 6.2 miles with some good climbing and some fun singletrack heading down. I did find out though that when you are tired you make little mistakes.

I made one little error. I was not going fast but I was tired. Fatigued from the climb up the hill and should have slowed down even a little more. I came up to a right hand with a little rock and then a good sized drop. Instead of prepping for the drop and unweighting the bike so I could settle it on the drop and ride out I just rode through. The rock did just enough to slide the front tire a little and then the back tire hit the rock which made my momentum go even more forward. I keep playing that back over and over in my mind. I still feel like I should have been able to ride that out but nope, my momentum carried me over the bars. Took the impact with my hands and then ate the track up with my face and chest. OUCH. This is the first crash that I have ever had that hurt me more then me just hurting my pride.


This was the path to my demise! Yes this was the top of the hill and made for such a nice view. The weather was great and I was happy to be on the bike again. I have not been as faithful to riding as I should have. And now I have paid the price. Now I have a sprained wrist and elbow. So I have to made sure I have the stamina and am pain free before I try this ride again. But oh what fun it was until my experience of flying into the side of the hill.

I had to grab a parting shot of the sunset. Some beauty while I was in pain heading down the hill to rest up and heal for some more adventures.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, sorry about your crash. Hope you get healed up ok. I've been mountain biking for 20 years and I have a motto at this point: If you aren't crashing, you aren't doing mtb right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I havnt crashed or went down but this is the first over the bars and actually where I am hurt. Hopefully I'll be riding soon, but right now my arm is still sore. In the past though I always just was able to do what I expected myself to do. This time I was a little slow and the trail was steeper then I first thought and oops there I went. Silly but I learn from my mistakes and cant wait to go conquer that trail.

      Delete